We’re a fast growing technology & analytics company that helps customers turn data into a competitive advantage. A driving force behind our success is our belief in building products that are flexible and scalable. We want our customers to not only deploy our turnkey offerings quickly but to also build & extend their capabilities.
In order to achieve this vision, we need to proactively communicate our products core functions, capabilities, use cases, applications and extensibility. We’re searching for an experienced technical writer to join the team to help us do just that.
As an ideal candidate, you have proven experience in a highly technical field, such as software development, computer science, or engineering. Your ability to evaluate and analyze complex information is second to none, and you have a natural desire to help people understand things that are hard to understand.
This role is fully remote. Candidates located in Austin, TX, will have access to our HQ facilities for in-person meetings, if you’d prefer a hybrid environment.
Objectives of this Role
- Develop comprehensive documentation that meets organizational standards
- Obtain a deep understanding of products and services to translate complex product information into simple, polished, and engaging content
- Write user-friendly content that meets the needs of the target audience, turning insights language that sets our users up for success
- Develop and maintain detailed databases of appropriate reference materials, including research, usability tests, and design specifications
- Evaluate current content and develop innovative approaches for improvement
Daily and Monthly Responsibilities
- Research, outline, write, and edit new and existing content, working closely with various departments to understand project requirements
- Independently gather information from subject matter experts to develop, organize, and write procedure manuals, technical specifications, and process documentation
- Work with development and support leads to identify all documentation repositories, revise and edit, and determine the best solution for data compilation and centralized storage
- Research, create, and maintain information architecture templates that uphold organizational and legal standards, and allow for easy data migration
- Develop content in alternative media forms for maximum usability, with a consistent and cohesive voice across all documentation
- Plan and execute migration of existing documentation from multiple sources and formats into a single cohesive corpus
- Existing documentation in multiple platforms: Confluence, Ghost, Dropbox, and Sphinx
- API and Python classes are documented using Swagger/OpenAPI, JSON Schema, and Pydantic
- New documentation created primarily in Markdown using Material for MkDocs, with some content created directly from code using Pydantic
- Version control using git
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant technical field
- 2-4 years of industry experience as an effective technical writer
- Proven ability to quickly learn and understand complex topics
- Previous experience writing documentation and procedural materials for multiple audiences
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, with a keen eye for detail
- Experience working with engineering to improve user experience: design, UI, and help refine content and create visuals and diagrams for technical support content
- Proficiency with the Linux/Unix command-line
- Basic familiarity with using git for version control
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, with an eye for prioritization
- Firm understanding of the systems development life cycle (SDLC)
- Previous experience with ETL, Data Staging, Data Migration, or Analytics applications
- Certification through the Society for Technical Communicators
- Experience documenting large software projects using Markdown or reStructuredText using tools such as MkDocs, Material for MkDocs, or Sphinx
- Familiarity with Docker
In addition to a company filled with learn-it-all people that are passionate about solving problems and having an impact, this remote position offers:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Paid holidays and Flexible PTO
- Equity/Stock Options
We want to hear from you!
Does this position sound like a good fit for you? Apply today! Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.